Sunday, August 23, 2009

Netbook vs Notebook

If you know me. You know I am an avid hater of notebooks. Most people purchase one thinking they are going to take it with them where ever they go. It usually ends up sitting on a desk 99% of the time. For the same price you could purchase a REALLY nice desktop computer.

Netbooks are a different monster. I acquired one about 6 months ago that was broken. I figured for free what the heck. I tore it apart and installed a new hard drive and got it up and running. I must say. I love the thing. It's small enough to truly carry with you where ever you go. I have the extended battery so I get about 6 hours of use out of it. I am running Ubuntu Remix on it. It is designed 100% for netbooks. For its size the thing is screaming fast and does just about everything I need it to do.

The down side:

The problem with the netbook is the same as the good things about it. They are small. VERY small. If you want to use it as your main computer and do more than just surf the net. You are going to be upset if you purchase one. The screen size is ok for surfing the net, reading ebooks, or watching a movie in bed. If you plan on writing a school paper on it. The small keyboard is going to kill you. The thing is big enough to do small projects on but for 100% of your work.. I would not recommend one. If you just want to use it to surf the web and things like that. They are PERFECT. As a little side note. If you want one because they only cost $250-$300 you can plug and external keyboard mouse and monitor into it. This allows you to use it as a normal computer. Although slower.

There are 2 main designs of the netbook. The main difference is type of hard drives. The less expensive kind has a normal laptop hard drive in it. The more expensive kind has a SSD or Solid State Hard Drive. Think of a flash memory card. The SSD drives are more expensive and a lot smaller.. most are 32gb or under where the HDD versions have around 160gb drive. Why would you want the SSD that is smaller and more expensive? The answer is battery life and no moving parts. No moving parts means less chance of data loss. But in my opinion. You should NEVER have that much personal important data on a netbook or laptop! They are too easy to break or get stolen. If you are worried about data loss.. save your money on the SSD drive and BACK IT UP .

This blog comes from http://insta-tek.com

No comments:

Post a Comment