Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What are the risks of using Facebook Myspace and other social sites

I have been asked this 100 times over recently. I have read many many articles on the subject and with my own experiences. I think I have a few tips for users.

1. Social site accounts are VERY easily hacked. Just because your "friend" sends you a link or posts something on your "Wall" does not mean they actually sent it to you. Their account could have been compromised and an attacker could have sent the link to you. NEVER click on links emailed, IM'ed, or posted to you. There are several ways for attackers to hide where the link is actually going. You could very well be clicking on a link that is going to install something malicious on your computer.

2. Hide your account information from those who are not on your "friends list". I like to give this reason for an example. I had a user ask me if it was safe for her 18 year old daughter to use myspace. All I asked her was he daughters name. I googled for her name. The first link showed me her place of employment. This was a hair cutting solon. I found her hours that she worked from that site. I then looked for her on myspace. I found her account and pictures of her and her car. Just 2 minutes of searching now allows a violent type person to know that she works till 10:00pm on Tuesday nights. That person also knows what kind of car she drives what she looks like and her name. They also "know" lots of her friends. This is a bad combination.

3. A recent study (although I have friends that work at temp agencies and have known about this for years) shows that 70% of Human Recourse departments use the internet to "check up" on prospect employees and have admitted that they have rejected potential applicants due to "Life style concerns", inappropriate comments, unsuitable pictures and videos. This is even before you go in for the interview! It's hard enough in this economy to find a job. You don't want to post or be "tagged" in a photo of you doing something that someone might consider wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment